Monday, September 7, 2009

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble

This one is for LeAnn who requested I make a Turkey for Thanksgiving. Never made a turkey anything since grade school, so I hope he is alright. Looking at him finished, I think he need one more row of tail feathers. Should I ever make another turkey, I will add another row.

I used a petal cut and emboss die from Cuttlebug to make the tail feather. I am sure any oval die cut would work, such as a Nesatability. This one measures about 2 1/2" long. I then cut slightly smaller ones for matting and ran them through my wavy crimper.


You could also use more fall type colors, mine are Close to cocoa, chocolate chip and creamy caramel.

I then prepared all my other cut outs. Two creamy caramel Top Note die cuts, My box as prepared in the Frankie tutorial, two 1" white circles, twp 3/4" black circles. I also sponged the edges in chocolate chip ink on everything except the white and black pieces.

I am not sure what this piece is called, but I cut it freehand from ruby red. I attached this to the lower middle part of one of the Top Note die cuts.


For the beak, I folder an only orange piece of cardstock and placed it in my large oval(not the wide oval) like shown, with the fold to the inside , and punched it out.

I wanted my beak to stand out from the card a bit so I added to score lines for this. You can see how I adhered them in the picture below, creating a beak that stands out off the card a bit. Adhesive is applied to the areas created by the score lines only.


I then attached my eyes as before from the Frankie tutorial.

Then add your eyelids on dimensionals.


For the tail feathers I attached each smaller crimped cutout to the larger cut out.

Then I placed them in the shape I wanted for the tail. I then added adhesive to the inside tips.


Then place your second top Note die cut onto the feathers and press to secure.


When I flipped this over, I decided I did not like how this looked. It was too plain for me and did not look finished.


I decided to add some more crimped centers, repeated the pattern from the front.

Then I added a scallop circle as my finishing touch. The circle measure about 2 1/2" across. After I finished this tutorial, I also decided to add another smaller scallop circle here in Close to cocoa.

Here is the side view of his face so you can see how far out the beak is. Not far, just a bit.

And of course, the finished box. Hope you enjoyed this tutorial as well.

LeAnn, hope you are pleased with the turkey. I will post your other request soon.
I have revised my turkey with the changes I suggested and you can view the new and improved turkey here.
Thanks,




3 comments:

Inking Idaho said...

Tammy, this is super darling! It's been quite a while since I've been on your blog. You've been busy girl!!! Love your stuff!

Bohemian Gypsy said...

He is magnificent Tammy!!! I think anyone would be happy with this guy.
Hugs
Michelle

lifesabeach32940 said...

Tammy ~ your turkey is super cute!! I like the changes you made to him as well!! Thank you for the continued inspiration!! You ROCK!!