Wednesday, July 22, 2009

3D Punched Star mini tutorial and Card

I was playing with my punches the other day and discovered a really neat thing I could do with the star punch. By adding a few score lines and creasing them, accordion style, I could create a sort of 3D star. It is so easy I want to share it with you.

First you will need a star. This can die punched or die cut, or perhaps even roughly done with just scissors, although I did not test that way.
I am using Stampin Up's large star punch for the tutorial.

I cut out two stars so you can see the dimension that gets added from a simple flat image.


Here are the two stars. I only will be working with one.


Using your Scor Pal or any other method of choice for scoring. Score from each point to the opposite side of the star, which should be a valley.

Repeat this same step for all five points on your star. It should then look similar to the image below.


Now Pinching on the point, create mountain folds for each point, and this will make it easier to then pinch from underneath all the valley folds (the short score line between each point).


Your star is now finished and is somewhat 3D. If you wish to stamp your star with a design you should do so before you start the scoring process. The star I used on my card was first stamped with a small leave branch stamp.


This is so easy you can whip up a whole bunch in no time. They make, great stars, obviously, but also would work for starfish on a beach layout or card. I have so many uses for this sweet star already, but would love to see what you can come up with as well.

Another view of the card showing better how dimensional the star is. I used dimensionals under the center of the star to attach it to a flat star underneath and then attached it to my card with more dimensionals.

Thanks,




4 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

I so luv the look of this star, I will be doing this in the future...tfs!

enjoy *~*

Anonymous said...

What an excellent idea. I definately will be trying this one. Have a niece with a July birthday

MariLynn said...

What a neat idea. Thanks so much for sharing. Your tutorial is very clear and easy to understand!!

joyk said...

Fab idea!! Thanks for sharing!